Co-operative Bank

Any plan to integrate Co-operative Bank credit cards? My current account and savings accounts with Co-op come up but not my credit card.

2 Likes

Yes, we should be able to get them via Open Banking once we fully transition next month.

Great. Thanks for the prompt response.

Hi, im just new here and was wondering if the co-op bank will be re-added?

Unfortunately, this is the still latest situation with Co-operative Bank, Metro Bank and John Lewis Partnership Credit Card:

However, it does seem like things may change later this year, if regulators agree to change the rules around Open Banking:

It looks like the Co-operative Bank now have proper dedicated interface support and a well-documented API: Information for TPPs | Business Open Banking | The Co-operative Bank

Please would it be possible for Emma to re-consider Co-operative Bank integration?

2 Likes

Please look into this @edoardomoreni!

It would be great if you could use the new API to add support for Co-operative Bank and Smile accounts.

2 Likes

Yes, please please PLEASE consider integrating Co-op again! I’ve been waiting all year for it to be app-friendly (changing banks hasn’t been in the cards for me this year) and I’m super pumped to actually get a hold of my finances.

1 Like

Yes and Smile again please.

1 Like

Yes please add Co-operative bank otherwise there’s no point me using the app :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey Everyone,

Apologies, but no updates on Co-op yet!

We will keep you updated if anything changes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any news on this? It seems that Coop has an API and this conversation has been going on for years. I am with the coop and would switch to Triodos if you integrated that, but you have neither and the fact that you just keep giving basic answers on integration and no ETA is frustrating. I would not have joined if I had known there isn’t even a plan to integrate the only ethical banks in the UK. An update would be much appreciated @edoardomoreni

1 Like

Hi there @edoardomoreni @Connor
Is there an update on Coop integration?
To be honest EMMA is pretty pointless for me because Coop is my main bank account, so I need to know your ETA to decide whether to continue subscribing or deleting my EMMA account. Thanks

Hi @MariaB, this bank lives in the past - we can’t do anything about it.

They have decided not to implement an Open Banking API.

1 Like

Presumably @edoardomoreni they did used to implement it as Smile used to integrate when I joined Emma, then stopped.

Thankfully I moved to Nat West.

Smile, Co-operative Bank, Metro Bank, Tesco Bank and John Lewis Partnership Card (at the time) all used a “Modified Customer Interface” (MCI) connection, which worked through screen-scraping and effectively saw Emma logging into a version of your bank’s online banking “as you”.

This approach was not recommended by regulators and all banks using it had to either implement a proper API or, if permitted, they could continue with MCI (which they were only allowed to do if they met regulatory exemptions). The majority implemented an API, so most aggregators like Emma dropped support for remaining MCI connections some time ago due to their inherent security risks, instability and poor customer experience.

Metro Bank and Co-op (including Smile) have still failed to bring out an API after all this time, so there is little that Emma can do.

The background to this is further up the thread in my earlier post and also, if you are interested and can follow the technical details, is publicly available elsewhere.

I’d add that we could even had them, but you need to login via username and password all the time even to refresh the bank login.

1 Like

I see co-op bank has an open banking page but can’t see them on Truelayer’s status page. Any knowledge from your end on when they might be supported?

They have been refusing to build an Open Banking API - they use a fallback that logs you out every time we try to refresh the account.

I don’t think they have any plans and we have decided to support OB APIs only, so that the experience is smooth.

I’ve found this on their website, does this suggest they offer an API?